Flooring - Cement Pad?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brownfarms, Jun 26, 2008.

1. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    I'm most likely going to purchase a wood shed to convert to a coop but am unsure whether to use a cement or wood floor. I'd rather just pour a cement pad. I'm in SoCal so snow isn't an issue. I like cement since it is easy to clean and won't rot. What are the negatives to cement? Our chickens are free range during the day. They would use the coop for egg laying and to get closed up in at night.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I would think the only negatives to cement would be the cost. I'd love to have a cement floor in my coop.

3. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    If your going to buy a wood shed, Pretty sure they come complete with wood floor. If not the walls would have nothing to hold them in place at the bottom unless it comes in pieces for you to secure to a cement pad.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    miss_thenorth, I would love a cement floor too! I can't think of any negatives to a cement floor...easy to clean, long-lasting.

5. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    the drawback i can think of with a concrete floor is that it would be cold (not an issue for socal) and damp, dampness making things like mildew more prevalent. i suppose it could also be rough on the birds' feet and legs, but i assume they'd be outside during the day?

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:I think I would still use straw or wood sahvings on top of it.--but having cement would make it so much easier to clean.

7. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:I think I would still use straw or wood sahvings on top of it.--but having cement would make it so much easier to clean.

yep, you could really blast it with a hose when necessary. in my climate, i'd never do concrete, but i've got a wood floor that will be covered with vinyl soon and that should be super easy to clean, too.

8. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    For mold and mildew a quick splash of chlorox works wonders. I did a cement floor today in my coop. But i did not do it the hard way of mixing up bags of cement and water, pouring it and smoothing it.

What I did was simply dump the 4 bags on the ground. I then sat on the ground and smoothed the powder with my hands like a child playing in a sand box. Then I turned on the water hose on low and sprayed a very fine mist repeatedly so as to not disturb the level of the powder. I watered it untill it all seemed soaked but not soupy. Just let it dry several days and you are set.

It looks like exposed aggregate cement when you do it that easy way. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by