Flooring for inside the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FeatherMtnFarms, Nov 20, 2015.

1. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    We have a shed that we built for our chicken coop and we are using a tarp and cardboard under the wood shavings, I have heard about using tile and it sounds useful, if you use it how does it do, does it get cold in the winter? What else do people use?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I do something completely different than most people. I used a waterproof underlayment in my breeder units and they tore it up by scratching. So now I use a thin sheet of HDPE. It comes in various colors. I've used yellow that is easy to tell when it is clean. The chickens can't wear down their talons but it is water proof and if you let your chickens forage, that takes care of it. I cover it with horse stall type pine shavings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polyethylen...-HDPE-Black-/360449609664?hash=item53ec788fc0

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    The floor is OSB painted with DeckOver, a thick deck paint. There is a thick, 6" layer of pine flakes over it. It's held up well. We have a poop board under the roost so most of the poo stays there.

4. orion141

orion141 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    I used linoleum (glued down) for my coop floor. On top of that I have about 4-6 inches of pine shavings. Its worked well so far, but time will tell how it continues to hold up.

5. bluema

bluema Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    I personally used pre-cut sheet vinyl flooring in top of pressure treated plywood.
    I've read of many people trying vinyl / linoleum tiles in their coop and experiencing problem with dirt/poop getting in between tile seams to lift them up eventually. If you're going to actually lay tiles with grout for better moisture protection as in bathrooms, that'll probably hold up fine, but you might want to avoid linoleum tiles.
    I have large dog kennel pans made of HDPE for easy slide out of my coop, as I don't think my vinyl flooring will hold up to chicken scratching in the long run. It all depends on the size of your coop, but HDPE sheet as ChickenCanoe mentioned sounds like a good idea.

6. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Something like thick deck paint is a good idea! Poop boards also seem to have good results, thank you ChickenMammX4! Thank you also bluema I never thought bout the seams in the linoleum! These are great ideas guys!

7. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Whatever I do end up using it will be covered in wood shavings.

8. bluema

bluema Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    A deck paint may not hold up under constant moisture. You'll see them start to peel and flake off.
    I've ruined a few surface spots on my covered patio because my pumpkin decorations melted into them.

9. orion141

orion141 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    i wanted to clarify my post earlier and say that by linoleum I meant vinyl sheet flooring. I used caulk around the edges of the sheet (where it meets the wall) to minimize any moisture/dirt/droppings getting under the flooring. Good luck!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  10. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Thank you!! Seems that the vinyl sheets work well also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by