Flooring for new chicks tomorrow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stockton, May 2, 2009.

1. stockton

stockton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hello we are picking up 4 chicks tomorrow. We are going back and forth on the flooring that should be in the kennel during their first few weeks in the laundry room. We read paper towels and pine shavings. What is best, cleanest, easiet?

thanks, and so excited - oh and a little nervous

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Usually, until they learn what feed is, (first day or so) you cover the floor with paper towels, and plan on changing them 4 times or so that day! I use wire bottom (hardware cloth) brooders with cardboard on top (cut up boxes) and newsprint paper sheets (unprinted) on top of that. Then, the paper towels...and later, I use clipped hay (2 inches) and/or pine shavings for the first couple of weeks, then I just use hay, still on the cardboard base. I roll up the cardboard, paper, chicken poop and all every week or so and replace it with new. With adequate ventilation, I have had virtually no odor problem.

3. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    We used a wire dog crate to house our chicks. I lined the inside with cardboard (attached to sides with zip ties) and because we have cats and dogs, used plastic hardware cloth on the outside of the crate.

For the bedding material, after much research here, decided on .... Wood Pellets (pine, not chemically treated, we use Woody Pet brand) If the chicks are really young, I would line the whole floor with an inch or so with pellets, then put paper towels in rows covering the whole bottom. You just roll up each row and add more paper towels several times per day. As the chicks got older, I eventually just put the paper towels under the water dish, food dish and where they sleep at night...after that, taking out the paper towel all together. I found it VERY easy to clean up, no dust, no smell. You then stir up the pellets and add a thin layer to freshen up. Easy, no fuss. The chicks started pecking at it and "tasting" it, but once they know where there food is, it is ok...they are just pecking around.

Lots of people use pine shavings, but try the pellets, they're awesome!

4. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably going against most on here, but after nearly 30 years of chickens, I've only ever used shavings (not cedar) for my chicks. I'll dip beaks in water and grind feed so its closer to a mash, but have never done anything besides shavings. Probably opening myself up to flogging by others, but its worked for me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by