Flooring for the outdoor pen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicklette 1, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have just installed my coop and have a large penned area around it. I know that all the grass will be gone in a very short time from the chickens. What, besides dirt, would any of you recommend to cover the soil once the grass is gone?

2. father-clucker

father-clucker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Southern California
    I asked this question recently and the general consensus was sand like you'd find in a playground.. although some people put down straw which other people claim may start to rot if it gets wet..
    YMMV!

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Use at least six inches of construction sand for the run. About once a month scatter a covering of food grade diatomaceous earth over it.

For your coop, get a tarp large enough to cover the floor and go up the walls about a foot. Put in about three inches of pine wood shavings from Tractor Supply, and about once a month scatter a covering of food grade diatomaceous earth over it. Every day throw in a handful or two of birdseed that has corn and black oil seeds; doing that will cause the chickens to scratch around for it, thus constantly turning the woodshavings. Empty the wood shavings with dry poo on the floor once or twice a year into your compost bin (make one with pallets and wire); use the compost on your garden after it's finished heating and becomes compost.

Under your roost, have a black plastic 2-foot X 4-foot X 9-inches concrete mixing box from your local Home Depot, Menards, etc. to catch the poo in. Put some wood shavings in it, and occasionally sprinkle diatomaceous earth over the poo. Empty it about once a month into your compost pile.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Is construction sand the class I sand? Thank you for all the suggestions.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Chicklette 1, I left some things out of my first post. Please re-read it.

Construction sand has various sizes of small stones it it, and it is used to lay pavers on as well as many other users. Do not use play sand. Any sand/gravel place will bring you as much as a truckload.

6. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:May I ask why? [​IMG]

I just purchased 25 bags of play sand to cover my 9 x 15 ft run. It's clean and has no rocks or anything in it. The girls love it, take baths, scratch around and it's easy to clean with a small wire leaf rack. Rakes the dried poo right up and into the compost it goes! [​IMG]

Edited to add: I just reread your post Joebryant, and you responded to a coop floor covering. The OP asked about a run covering. Could this be why you said No sand?

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by