Flooring in the chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bigfatchicken, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Bigfatchicken

Bigfatchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    sarasota, Florida
    What types of flooring are people using? How does chicken waste and pee effect the flooring and it there are mildew issues.
    thank you very much this is my first time at BYC.

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Depends on your coop and situation. Some use concrete, some dirt. Many, like I, cover plywood with linoleum. Sometimes you can get cheap remnants at hardware or flooring stores.

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I use linoleum over plywood too. A word of warning, I thought the peel and stick squares would be so easy but they keep peeling and coming up...I definitely wish I had gotten one big piece and I will...eventually.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Linoleum over OSB here and two big pieces because is a large coop at 8 x 16 and I bought remnants. Glue it down BEFORE framing the walls so it is under the wall base plates, then caulk the seam between the base plates and linoleum. I also took strips 16" long and cut them to fit between each wall stud and ran them up the sheathing. Stapled and caulked edges so I could hose the whole thing down when I change litter. Use a poop plank, 24" wide and place roost in center over it. Make it of sheet metal if affordable/ available. Otherwise do OSB 1/2" and cover with linoleum glued on. Easy to scrape daily in AM and your litter will last a year if 6' deep or so. This is a fact that I know because I am doing it with 24 chooks and it is working well. [​IMG]

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Got a cheap remnant roll of lino for like 5 bucks and put that down over plywood. We pretty much have 2 large pieces that are nailed down securely and held down by the walls as well. Makes it much easiier to clean and I dont worry as much about water spillage on the wood.

Cleanup is a breeze!!

Since we had a lot left, I linoed the roosts too to help in cleanup....it has done pretty well [​IMG]

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Mine is pressed board painted

7. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    My floor is just CDX Plywood, painted white. I poured oil-based paint on the floor and squeegeed it around with a roller. So much paint the roller didn't spin, but just slid. Then I left it alone for several days, and did it again. Two heavy coats seemed to seal it up well enough, and I figured I could put cheapo (markdown special, if I see one) flooring on top of it if needed later.

8. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    My coop is a 6x8 converted shed. I just took 1/2" treated plywood and tacked a layer of it it over the original plywood floor of the coop. It was really quick and easy and should last. If I need to replace it I can also easily rip it up and put down a new layer. I had thought about doing the self-stick tiles, but was afrid they would pull up after a while.

9. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    in my chicken coop i have plywood covered in linoleum, works like a charm. i use hay as bedding in the winter and i can just pull the hay out as one big piece, its a 4x4 coop raised up on cinder blocks, i built this one after years of bird experience and got it perfect. my dove shed was the first on i built, it originaly had a flat patio block floor which worked alright, but the mice and chipmunks could dig up through, so we had to dig all the blocks up and throw wire underneath, it works ok, but i keep doves on it so their needs are a little different. my pheasant shack i threw together in about 6 hours, so the floor sucked up water like a reverse funnel, i was worried about them being on wet bedding so i put in a deck type flooring this fall and it works pretty good. i think the best flooring is pt construction grade plywood with linoleum glued down on top, works like a charm. linoleum scraps can be kind of expensive but if your gonna have the coop for awhile its definitely worth it.

10. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I have cement and pine shavings. Works for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by