flooring in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bugkiller, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I started my first coop today. Got it framed. Just curious what you guys use as flooring material. Do you just leave the bare ply wood or do you put down a flooring material.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I just used bare plywood. With a good layer of pine shavings on top it stays clean and dry.

3. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    We used a scrap of linoleum that we had left over from when we redid our bathroom. We use deep litter method so have pine shavings spread over the top of that. Very easy to clean!

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Welcome to BYC and your first coop experience.....will be alot of fun. Ditto on the congoleum. Have used it in both our coops with deep litter shavings on top. No problems to date. Here is photo of latest coop floor.
    Erik

[​IMG]

5. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I used commercial flooring tiles.

6. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    I agree with linoleum. All of my floored coops have it. I use the deep litter method but when I do clean them out...it makes cleaning a breeze. Plus, you don't have to worry about wet spots rotting your floor.

This is an old picture during construction but you can see lino was the first thing that went down.

[​IMG]

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yay Chicks! :

I just used bare plywood. With a good layer of pine shavings on top it stays clean and dry.

x2 [​IMG]

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have a concrete floor but I put linoleum over it and use pine shavings on top. It was a remnant piece I picked up for cheap on CL. I'm glad I did. Chicken poo sticks like glue!

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 [​IMG]

Yup... X3

10. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    I used bare plywood with DLM.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by