Flooring material?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MW72Bay, Sep 9, 2010.

1. MW72Bay

MW72Bay New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    I am planning my first chicken coop. It will probably be a raised off the ground type. What do most people use as flooring? Plain plywood? To make it really easy to clean, I was thinking of using white melemine board or plywood covered with linolyum. Will melemine be slippery for them? Will linolyum get scratched up and damaged or even ingested?

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I put tarps down on my floors. That way, I can just drag it along with bedding, poop, and everything else out at once to clean the coop quickly.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  3. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. I am going to tack down plastic then add a deep layer of shavings. I would rather do the dragging out of the plastic then to have to scoop up all the poo and shavings. A lot of people on this site really like the vinyl floors. Much easier to scrape up the mess than on a regular wood floor.

4. saltdean norm

saltdean norm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    i painted mine with garage floor paint, its tough and can be painted on a lot thicker than gloss. i sealed the edges first with flexible caulk then painted about 6 inches up each wall.

5. MW72Bay

MW72Bay New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    I like the tarp idea. I think I might go with that. Thanks.

6. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Exterior grade plywood covered with linoleum works great for me. I think a layer of melemine sandwiched between them would be wasted money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by