flooring

SueD

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
Pittstown,NJ
Hi, we are almost done making a coop out of a shed. What does everyone reccomend we use on the floor? shavings or woody pet? or just leave it wood? also, what should we put in the nesting boxes? hay?

Thanks
soon to be new chicken owners.
Sue and Mark:)

Thank you very much. I will get some shavings. I hope our chicken house comes out as nice as some of them I saw on this board. We bought an 8 x 10 shed and hubby has been building it and adding things like vents and a nesting row with boxes.

Hi again friends,

I have another dumb question for the board. Should I paint the floor of my chicken coop? or leave it bare and just put shavings on it?

Thanks
Sue

If your floor is OSB (the big-flake looking plywood substitute), it might be a good idea to paint it with a few coats of water resistant paint. That could cut down on the floor degrading over time- OSB sucks up water like a sponge.

Otherwise, I'd say no paint for just about any other material. No need for it, and it will be under shavings anyway.

-MTchick

Ah well, he put a regular plywood floor down first, then that junky stuff to reinforce, so yes, I have that, and I WILL paint it. thank you so much for the tip!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom