Floorless Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Horsequick, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Horsequick

Horsequick Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2016
    Hello. My first post on here although I've lurked around for over a year.
    I just built my first chicken tractor. It's 6'x10' and at the coop end it's 6' tall. So I won't have to clean it I made it wit no floor in the coop. Just a simple ladder so they can go to their roosting bars and nest boxes. I'm not completely finished yet. I still have to install the nipple watering systen that will attach to a 30 gallon reservoir. And I'm still trying to come up with a wheel system. This thing is HEAVY so I can't do like most folks do.. it'll have to be angle iron and heavy duty wheel mounts. I'll post pics once done. Anyway...I hope ya like it :)[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Horsequick

Horsequick Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. Horsequick

Horsequick Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    That does look heavy.
    I use two different types of wheel systems. First one is a modified bicycle frame and wheel.
    [​IMG]
    Use a through bolt at the pedal and a u-bolt a few inches back. Pull down on the chrome pipe and it raises the tractor. Hook the pipe in a hook to keep it raised.
    But your tractor may be too heavy for that.

On my hoop coops, I took an 8" piece of steel angle and welded a 5/8" rod coupling to one side. Used a grade 5 bolt thru a 10" pneumatic wheel, then a stop nut, then into the rod coupling. Works great on the hoop coops but the rear of the coop is 2-3 inches off the ground. I don't know if those small welds would hold up to the weight of your tractor.

Something for you to think on though.

2 people like this.
  5. Horsequick

Horsequick Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2016
    Actually....I like that a LOT!!

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

After you add the 250 ish lbs from the water reservoir, I'm thinking you're just going to need a truck or tractor to move that puppy [​IMG]

7. Horsequick

Horsequick Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2016
    Ha....I agree

8. ksguy

ksguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2015
    Kansas
    Dude! I hope you've got either a garden tractor or some kids to use as slave laborers, because that's a BEAST! Very nice build!

9. Horsequick

Horsequick Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2016
    Ha. Thanks. I'm going to get some metal this week and work a bit on it. Right now I'm moving it with a dolly on each end...so it takes two people right now.

10. koopmaster

koopmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Olean, N.Y.
    Great build! I second the garden tractor suggestion. Its gonna need a Sears Suburban to move that beast!!!![​IMG] great design, and build

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by