Floppy chicken leg/s

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HommeDeBois, Sep 15, 2012.

1. HommeDeBois

HommeDeBois Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Earlier this week I noticed my smaller hen stumbling a little bit as she walked, I didn't think anything of it until my wife looked on here and saw that stumbling chickens=bad news. I isolated herimmediately.
    I read about de-worming, saw all the recommended stuff, went to feed store, pig swig is all they carry (being that she's not laying, I'm not concerned about that aspect). Made the mix and put it in her water. She doesn't seem to be drinking, and if she is, it's not much, so I use a straw and pipe some down her throat every couple of hours. She also doesn't seem to be eating much, she just kind of lays flopped over in the pen that I made, and even with the food right by her head, she's not that into it unless I hold the dish and shake it around and bring her attention to it. She has been pretty upset to be apart from the other two ladies, who seem equally upset (and are now suspicious of me).
    How long do I keep up the quarantine, and what should I expect to see as far as signs of getting worse (or better)?
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. HommeDeBois

Jul 29, 2012
    Also, how do I tell if my bird has Marek's vs. worms or some other issue? I don't want to jump to killing the bird, but I don't want to keep her around just to have the other birds get sick and die also. Thoughts?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It's hard to say that she has Marek's. She's just sick but I don't know why. I don't know how old. Is there any respiratory symptoms? What color is her poop? Is she panting? Does she have an impacted egg? There's just too many things it could be, but I'm guessing by laying on the ground and not eating, she may not live. Maybe someone else can give you some idea.

4. HommeDeBois

Jul 29, 2012
    My guess is that this bird is 18-22 weeks old. Her poop looks like ground up grass clippings (probably because when she's in the yard she sits and nibbles at the grass) and normal chicken poop. Her eyes are bright, she's not panting and doesn't have any nasal discharge. She is eating some, just not as vigorously as usual.
    I'm hoping that it isn't Marek's disease, because she was exhibiting what I now know are symptoms before I separated her from the others and they seem just fine (in fact, a hawk made a few slow and low passes over the yard today trying to grab one of them, and they had no trouble getting away).

5. HommeDeBois

Jul 29, 2012
    Also, I don't know if she has an impacted egg or not, I've checked by feeling around her lower abdomen, but it doesn't feel like there's anything stuck there. Do I need to poke a finger in her vent and feel around to make sure?

6. HommeDeBois

Jul 29, 2012
    Update:
    I've kept her quarantined for the past couple of days. When I shake the food dish in front of her, she pecks at it, but when I put it down she doesn't eat much. She doesn't seem to be drinking much or any water, since her poop seems really solid and doesn't have the liquid portion of the poop, it just looks like ground up bird seed. She seems to just sit back on her 'heels' (or whatever the backwards knees or chickens are called- the big joint of the leg), and most of the time her left leg is extended back behind her like she has no control of it at all. I forced the wyzine solution down her throat with a straw (hold her beak open, dip straw in wyzine water, diluted to instructions, drain straw into her mouth) for the day that the instructions recommended, but it didn't seem to help.
    The symptoms started early last week (on the 9th or 10th). She's losing weight. How can you tell if a chicken is suffering? Is it time to cull?
    Here are some videos I took in case it might help someone ID what is going on:

7. satkins

satkins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    She has all the classic symptoms of Mareks. Poor thing. There is no cure for Mareks. We have culled 3 hens from mareks. I cleaned the coop but it s transmitted by their feathers. Once exposed even if they don't get Mareks the rest of the flock are carriers. So if you get others Make sure they are vaccinated.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It sounds like Marek's to me too.

9. HommeDeBois

Jul 29, 2012
    Crap. I've been afraid of that.
    In either case, whatever she has, I've decided to put her out of her misery, I just don't want it to be miserable for my wife and 5 y.o. daughter in the process.
    I've had a hard time working up the nerve and figuring it all out, I guess.

10. HommeDeBois

Jul 29, 2012
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Poor poor Daisy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by