Floppy comb, changing colors...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustChicky, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    A few weeks ago I was asking about my girl Rose. She had a lot of what felt like fat on her bottom/belly. Well, that is fine now.

But this morning I noticed her comb was flopping around. She has a rosecomb that is thin under the bumps. In this middle area under the bumps, her comb looks orange. It was really cold for them last night, like mid 20's. The top is still red and I don't see any frostbite. I am not sure it would show up in a picture. Oh yeah, she isn't laying right now either.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

2. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    try putting up a heat lamp- it keeper ours warm most of the time [​IMG]

3. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Thanks.

I looked at her comb some more and I think she will be fine. It just looked weird this morning. Looks normal now.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had only twice this happened. One was a hen i knew was laying internally. Her comb would turn purple from time to time. She was very thin at the time. Another had a heart defect, which killed her. Sometimes when they molt, it really depletes them. Hopefully, it's just a passing condition for your girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by