Georgeschicks

Songster
Jul 5, 2017
baltimore maryland
6989A840-E833-4976-8077-E54C5478DEEF.jpeg
A389845E-8D92-4D6F-B48C-8F258D910348.jpeg
91E940CB-20E4-42FA-A150-74ABB355C3FB.jpeg
3B24C5AF-7846-48A9-879B-E293765CFD1F.jpeg
hi! my almost two years old bcm has a floppy comb that is also a weird color. is she ok? what should i do? usually her comb stands up.

It certainly could signify health issues. Usually, hormones affect comb color and plumpness. She could have a tumor on her reproductive organs and ovary. The dark tips of the comb signify poor blood circulation and possible serious cardio/pulmonary issues.

Is she laying eggs? My guess would be no. Correct this notion if I'm wrong.

However, there is really no way to know for sure what can be causing the floppy dark comb. We're only able to guess. Observe her behavior. As long as she's active and has a good appetite, it's enough to allow her to enjoy life as long as she's able.

It certainly could signify health issues. Usually, hormones affect comb color and plumpness. She could have a tumor on her reproductive organs and ovary. The dark tips of the comb signify poor blood circulation and possible serious cardio/pulmonary issues.

Is she laying eggs? My guess would be no. Correct this notion if I'm wrong.

However, there is really no way to know for sure what can be causing the floppy dark comb. We're only able to guess. Observe her behavior. As long as she's active and has a good appetite, it's enough to allow her to enjoy life as long as she's able.
she is not laying right now. there is nothing I can do?

How is she behaving? A chicken can live a long time with cancer, as can people, but when it reaches a tipping point, the chicken becomes extremely sick practically overnight. Nothing can be done for cancer.

Your best course of action is to provide supportive care to maximize her immune system. Vitamins can help. Occasionally, a boiled egg or tablespoon of mackerel to boost her protein levels.

Is she currently acting sick? How long has it been since you've had an egg from her? Were her eggs becoming of poor shell quality before she stopped laying?

If this has come on very suddenly in the last couple days, there is a chance she has a reproductive infection and could benefit from an oral antibiotic. If this has been going on for some time and she's still reasonably active, it's doubtful she has an infection.

How is she behaving? A chicken can live a long time with cancer, as can people, but when it reaches a tipping point, the chicken becomes extremely sick practically overnight. Nothing can be done for cancer.

Your best course of action is to provide supportive care to maximize her immune system. Vitamins can help. Occasionally, a boiled egg or tablespoon of mackerel to boost her protein levels.

Is she currently acting sick? How long has it been since you've had an egg from her? Were her eggs becoming of poor shell quality before she stopped laying?

If this has come on very suddenly in the last couple days, there is a chance she has a reproductive infection and could benefit from an oral antibiotic. If this has been going on for some time and she's still reasonably active, it's doubtful she has an infection.
she has been acting funny lately but she is eating and pooping normally she is just slightly less active. she has not laid for about a month but she has always been a poor layer so I didn’t think much of it till her comb. thanks so much for the help so far.

If this has come on very suddenly in the last couple days, there is a chance she has a reproductive infection and could benefit from an oral antibiotic. If this has been going on for some time and she's still reasonably active, it's doubtful she has an infection.[/QUOTE
Since her poop is normal and not runny and white with yellow in it, I doubt very much she has an infection, but keep an eye on the poop for signs.
thanks!

My 2 year old cinnamon queen’s comb looks like this too. She’s lost weight, eating well, not laying but has runny poop that is yellow and white. She has good & bad days, a bad day she will just sit in the coop, a good day, she’ll come out & scratch & peck. She’s been interested in mealworms, grubs and greens today, but I did see her have diarrhea. Any ideas?

My 2 year old cinnamon queen’s comb looks like this too. She’s lost weight, eating well, not laying but has runny poop that is yellow and white. She has good & bad days, a bad day she will just sit in the coop, a good day, she’ll come out & scratch & peck. She’s been interested in mealworms, grubs and greens today, but I did see her have diarrhea. Any ideas?
Those symptoms could be from cancer or an infection if it's been going on for some time. If you want to explore your hens issues, why don't you start a thread?

Back
Top Bottom