Floppy combs normal??

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
I have seen several posts about combs 'falling' over and the owners being concerned. I've noticed that my BO pullet (6mos) has a flopping comb (not as red as the others) but otherwise seems healthy in every other way. She is laying. Should I be concerned? My chickens free range most of the day with free choice of layers pellets, oyster shells and of course veggie and fruit treats. Yes, this is my first batch of chickens so I'm new at this. Thanks in advance for you replies.
K

One of my buffo's has a comb that looks like one of those french berets!!! It flops right over...
lol.png

Thanks everyone for your replies. You too Speckledhen. I noticed you replied to several of my amateur questions and I greatly appreciate it. This forum has been AWESOME! My next challenge will be getting through the Kansas winter.
K

If you've got some birds with big floppy combs, put Vaseline on their combs in the winter a few times a week to protect the points from frostbite.

Thanks for the info chicken lady. I remember reading that somewhere on this forum. I also thought it was to be a certain type of vaseline. Can I use the regular kind and how often does it need to be applied?
Thanks again!
K

Back
Top Bottom