1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Floppy Eggs... organic feed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickonLand, May 31, 2017.

1. ChickonLand

ChickonLand Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    All my nine hens are fully-free range. They have a hutch where they sleep and lay their eggs, that is where their feeder is kept. When they started laying last fall their shells were strong and hardy, now not so much. One of the Buff Orpington pretty much only lays floppy eggs. I want to switch their feed but I want it to be soy-free and organic. Right now they are on Scratch and Peck Organic Layers feed. Any recommendations for a new feed?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Are you offering them oyster shell on the side too?

3. ChickonLand

ChickonLand Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2017

No, they used to have it in their feed but I switched to Scratch and Peck, it's not in the ingredients though.

4. MamaChick74

MamaChick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2017
    New Hampshire USA
    Definitely get some oyster shell and put it in a separate dish for them to peck at when they need it. You can wash and dry their shells and add it to the oyster shell too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by