Floppy Neck on Hatched Chick - Advice Wanted -MD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Serendipity, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Serendipity

Serendipity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I have two newly hatched Copper Marans chicks that have "floppy necks" and what appears to be a neurological problem. They just lay in the brooder and when I pick them up their necks flop over. If I hold their beaks to the water dish - they will drink and it seems to revive them, but they are very lethargic. I have added vitamins and supplements to their water and make sure that they receive water every hour. If anyone can offer any advice on what could be the cause and a possible remedy - I would greatly appreciate your help. My little fluffy butts are too sweet not to give them every possible chance at survival. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    How are they now? Often they will perk up after the first 24 hours

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They need an antibiotic NOW.

I'd give them some tetracycline in water or some emyacin in milk.

I had some that were like this ... some died the ones I got to quickest lived.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Please do not give an antibiotic unless you are sure wHAT it is and WHICH antibiotic you would need to treat it with. Chicks are quite often weak when first hatched and a variety of causes could ve behind this which antibiotics would be totally useless in treating .

5. Serendipity

Serendipity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thank you dlhunicorn & Mahonri for responding. I was beginning to wonder if I would get any advice! [​IMG]

The chicks are doing somewhat better this morning. Still sluggish and not very active, but they are drinking the vitamin & electrolyte water. I fed them scrambled eggs yesterday and made sure that they were drinking about every hour. I am just going to keep pushing the water every hour and making sure they eat. I guess time will tell.

I still have a yellow golden pheasant chick (separate issue) whose neck is tossed up over his back. His neck is very floppy and he does not seem to have the ability to hold his head upright at all. I am doing the same regimen with him - but he does not seem to be improving. He is still hanging in there - but barely. [​IMG]
    Again any advice that you would have would be greatly appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by