1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Floppy needs help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Aplaceforall, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Aplaceforall

Aplaceforall New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    I went to tractor supply to get some ducklings. I got 4 Peking, and 4 khaki campbells.
    All looked well though I did pick a undersized khaki as he was being stepped on by the others and clearly needed help. His name is Runty. After some individual care Runty has become the devil of the cage and is running the show in the pool! My problem is one of the Pekings has developed an inability to walk or stand for very long and needs special care. They all have probiotics and vitamins in their water, veggies in the diet, outside time for warm water swims but Floopy just is not improving her strength. She seems happy and does love a warm swim provided everyone else is out of the pool. I worry what will happen when they are old enough to go to our pond. The pond is two acres and I cannot help her there. Should I not allow her to graduate to the pond? I do not want to stress her when her siblings are away from her. Any ideas.

2. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    You did not mention giving them any Niacin. Ducks have a much higher Niacin need than chickens and without it develop neurological problems. You can buy capsules and put it in their water (not no flush) or feed them brewer's yeast (sold at healthy food store like Whole foods).

3. Aplaceforall

Aplaceforall New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    I did buy the poultry vitamins but maybe there is not enough niacin in there for her needs. Do you know how much she should be getting? She is 6 weeks old.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They need at least 150mgs of niacin a day till 10 weeks old I really like to use Brewers yeast [not baking yeast] BY from natural food store or Nutritional yeast. 1Tablespoon per cup of feed till 10 weeks.

I would not let Floopy go to the pond unless she is walking on her own 2 legs. You can always keep one of her friends back with her for company till she is completely walking on strong legs.

Oh and speaking of ponds do you know if you have snapping turtles? because shortly after you release your ducks onto your pond you'll find out when one of them is attacked Snapping turtles are awful predators to waterfowl.
    @Aplaceforall

Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. Aplaceforall

Aplaceforall New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    THank you for the help, I am off to the health food store bright and early to get what she needs. The poultry vitamins do not have the needed dose. They only have 22 mg per scoop and that is put in a gallon of water for all of them so she is not getting a proper dosage. It does explain why we have noticed a small improvement in her strength but not enough to have her standing and walking well. I hope I have not missed the window of time to ensure she will get her mobility back but if not she will get whatever she needs to do as well as possible. I will not be letting her go to the pond. Right now she only swims under supervision.
    On the other note, we do have snappers. They do not seem to bother my wild ducks but I think they have taken some of the baby geese! They are not my favorite tenants but we have a no kill policy on our farm so the best we've been able to do is catch any large ones and relocate them. We have not seen any bigger than 6 to 8 inches for a few years now.
    My plan is to let the ducks head to the pond when they are full grown. Till then they are in the duck-house with a pool. It is a big house with a large enclosed front exercise area so they should be happy there.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please let us know how she is doing. You sound very responsible. I'd def rehome any snappers you have I have seen pics where they have taken off a foot and bitten chunks out of breasts of adult ducks. I wasn't encouraging killing just they do need to be addressed for the water fowls protection.

7. Aplaceforall

Aplaceforall New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    Well Floppy has been on the vitamins and is doing well. She is an oddly shaped bird and is developing very slowly compared to her siblings. She is walking again, though waddles left to right in a very pronounced way. She is half the size of the others, but swims well and is able to now get out if her pool by herself, so a marked improvement! She shows signs of dwarfism and this may very well be her problem. She is so friendly and loves to sit quietly wrapped in a towel. She is a farm favorite and my jack Russell loves to swim with her, that is a site!
    Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions to help her. We shall keep you posted! [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great to hear she is doing so much better!!!

9. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Great to hear that she's improving! Good luck with them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by