Floppy weak chick with wet-looking face

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cindilong, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Cindilong

Cindilong In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2019
    One of my hens has been hatching some chicks. She's a huge hen sitting on about 17 eggs. A couple hatched yesterday but were dead when we found them More hatched overnight, and this afternoon she had 7 live ones, with the first couple that hatched running out from under her and exploring. Laying next to her was a wet but fully formed chick, ice cold, still breathing but barely.

I moved this chick under her a couple times and somehow it wouldn't stay. She'd move and it would roll out. She didn't look to be actively pushing it so I don't know, I guess it was more like the hen would scoot over a bit each time so as to not be laying on this chick.

So I brought the chick in and dried it with a blow dryer and it eventually perked up. But it can't really walk. It doesn't have splay leg, its legs are underneath its body and not sticking out to the side. It just seems weak or brain-damaged or something. It can stand flat-footed with its toes spread out if I help hold it up. It does now crawl around a little bit. It has spent time peeping and seeming distressed but it has also spent time sleeping. I've tried giving it Nutri drench with a dropper, water with a dropper, yogurt, and wet chick starter. It doesn't seem to have taken any of it, it's like the stuff just sits on its beak and it has like a little freak out seizure from the feeling of something touching its beak. It hasn't pooped this whole time. It's been with me now for about 5 hours.

Any ideas? I'm attaching some pics. As you can see it also has this issue where it looks like its face is wet. I don't know if maybe I spilled Nutri drench on the face. Do any of you recognize this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

The Phantom likes this.
  2. Cindilong

Cindilong In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2019
    I forgot to say that yes I set up a brooder and the temp is 90. I can't get it up to 95. I'm using a reptile heat lamp I don't have any incandescent bulbs in the house. Right now it's actuality very happy napping on the electric blanket you see in the pics.

The Phantom likes this.
  3. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Because of the stress it may just need some sleep and nutrients. I would keep doing what your doing. I would also warm whatever you feed it. If it's cold maybe that's why it's flinching. I would also try to warm the brooder up to 95-98F. I usually use your 100 watt every day light put at 8-12inches above. That seems too keep it at a good temp.
    Hopefully the little guy improves. Good luck.

Cindilong likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: