flopsy bunny question revisted ...bunny experts please help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mrs. Feathers, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I have the sweetest little bunny. She is about 6 months old. Comes back and forth to school with me, loves going in the car, and is super friendly. She became quite quiet at the end of last week and not her usual inquisitive self. I have kept her home this week and am originally thought she may have eaten something in the classroom she stays in. Now it looks like she may have injurred her left front leg. The kids don`t pick her up but she does have a step down from her cage. Her personality is back now but she seems clumsy when she is out of her cage moving around. We do have wood floors at home and I have not been able to get her out to her outdoor run because it is pouring rain, she has never slipped so much on our floors before. Just wanted to chek if there is anything else bunny health wise I should be concerned about.
    She is eating well, poop and pee seem normal (although she has stopped using her litter pan regularly:( ). Neurologically seems okay. Just seems to be clumsy when she is running about. I am thinking left front leg because she tends to wipe out on that side. She is a ferile rescue bunny from a cull site and was vet checked when we adopted her.
    I just lost my very dear older dog so am a bit overly maternalish with this bunny right now. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Is she stumbling or falling over? Shaking her head, or does her head or body seem to be tilting to one side? Those are pretty classic signs of wry neck, and that needs to be treated ASAP.

If you don't see any obvious tilt and she isn't limping, there's no heat or swelling anywhere, it may just be a soft tissue injury and a week of rest will probably do her some good.

3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks Rabbitmage!
    I didn`t realize rabbits could get wry neck too....new to having a rabbit as a pet. Is it the same symptoms as I would see in my chickens? Fortunately we have not had it in our chickens but I know what that looks like so will do some research on treatment and keep a close eye just in case. Thanks for the tip. Her posturing is fine and she is lined up properly spine wise no head tilt or shaking. I don`t notice an obvious limp and t is more like she is slipping. Granted she is hopping around on slippery hardwood floors [​IMG] . She was in her outside pen for her exercise times all summer and has grown since she was last running around inside so I am hoping it is just teen clutziness. The part where she was quiet concerns me but if she injurred herself that would account for it I am thinking. Seems back to her old self curiosity and spunk wise this morning [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by