Florecent green mucous at vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkosh, Dec 28, 2010.

1. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    During yesterdays blizzard I found one of my hens under the overhang looking very cold. I put her in my sick ward area of the barn to warm her up. This morning she looked egg bound and was posturing and crying like she was egg bound with a lot of runny poo. I still thought she was maybe going to pass the egg so I left her to check on her after a while. When I went back to check on her she was sleeping peacefully. I was happy thinking she passed the egg but I couldn't find any sign of an egg at all. I picked her up and found that her vent was covered in this bright green mucous like discharge. I got a rag and wiped it off. She had some bloody discharge with it. I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm not sure if she is sick or if she has an infection. Anyone every seen anything like this? She doesn't look like she is in any futher discomfort right now but she is still in the sick ward.
    [​IMG]

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I would guess she has a broken egg inside. Does that look like egg whites and yolk bits? If not, I would still think an egg broke inside and it is then infected.

Not sure how to treat, but someone else with more experience should come along here.

3. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I thought of that too. The bits looked kind of like blood. The yellow on the rag was a yellow flower in the pattern of the towel. I was almost positive she was going to pass an egg which is why I also though of a broken egg but there was no evidence on the floor of the barn where she is. She could have eaten the egg evidence too. I'm not sure what to treat her with if it is an infected egg in the duct.

4. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    She now has this continuos oozing of a greenish mucous. I have started giving her 20cc of Pennicillin G 2x/day. She isn't looking too good. Cross your fingers for me. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks:(

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Wow, that's a lot of penicillin for a bird. Can't help you beyond what I've already said since I have no experience with this myself. But at least this might help keep your post high enough for others to see. If it does not improve in a couple days, I would go ahead and cull though.

6. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    That is the smallest amount my syringe has. It is usually for our sheep and llamas. I hope I didn't make it worse. The poor thing.

7. dkosh

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I've been farming for 25 years but I only started with chickens 3 years ago. This is the first time I've had this going on with a chicken. [​IMG] Thank you NellaBean for helping I really do appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by