florescent green poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pokey, Aug 11, 2008.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    i have an older hen that had florescent green poop.
    sounds silly but i was wondering if this indicated anything specific?any advice appreciated. i have actually culled her due to indications of resp disease, but i would like to know if that was a specific indication. thanks
  2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Is it fluorescent green, yellowish, or deep, unnatural blue-green?

I have noticed when I give mine kale or mixed Euro greens from certain grocers it changes their poop color to that deep, unnatural blue-green ~ as though a dye had been given to the plants to make them look brighter.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    it was florescent green like neon green almost. my dh said she had been abducted by aliens.
    [​IMG] then he felt bad we we had to cull her. i cried. i hate that part of keeping chickens!
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. TT

TT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    No idea why your chicken had neon green poo, but it reminded me and the boys of an experience we had.

My middle son wanted a snake for his birthday cake - well I figured out how to do that and then it just had to be a black snake. Let me tell you everyone who ate that icing had neon green poop! [​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:that's because black is not a natural color and has to be made from either really dark blue or purple...both of which return to you neon green! faygo pop and kool-aid will do it!!!

i am not sure what the chickens ate to do that, but weird aliens maybe. put tin foil on your head and get in the closet next time![​IMG]
  6. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    according to Damerow's book "The Chicken Health Handbook"..
    florescent green , or blue green droppings is caused by moldy grain..

green droppings can also be caused by undiluted bile from the liver..especially if they don't eat enough.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    in pigeons I think its a sign of liver failure,,,sorry about your chicken [​IMG]
  8. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    liver failure sounds like its possible. would you believe she was not eating well, but the instint to be a broody was still there.... i had to pull her out of the nestbox.... one of the best silkies i ever had...
  9. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    sorry for your loss.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  10. thornwing

thornwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    my rooster has this, check my topics out and find it....the liver failure is starting to scare me! I raised him from a chick!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by