Florida Chicken Fancier

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mimi1107, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Mimi1107

Mimi1107 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    St Augustine, Fla.
    Hello all,
    I live in St. Augustine South and have been wanting to build a chicken coop for some time and to get us some chickens. Just not sure how to get started. I read the ordinance that was last posted on the site but it was from 2010 and I'm not sure if it's up to date for my area so I was wondering how I can actually find out if I can have them in my neighborhood. Our yard has a 5 foot high fence and I can have chicken wire put on the inside to keep the little ones in but also would like an enclosed run for the, to protect them from the flying and four legged predators in our area. Lots of Feral Cats, Ospreys,Owls and Raccoons. Just need a little advise. :/

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Your best bet would be to call your local town hall. Likely they will know if you are allowed to have them and if not, I'm sure they would look it up for you.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

X2 on calling your town/city hall. They will be able to tell you if you can keep poultry in your area. I sure hope you can keep some chickens. The are SO much fun to raise.

Good luck and enjoy all your adventures in life!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You can check out coops and the Learning center above. With your assortment of predators, an enclosed run with cover should deter some of them. 1/2" hardware cloth is much stronger than regular chicken wire, which is easily torn out by determined predators.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

A big X 3 on the town hall or city council [​IMG]

I was at the a city counsel meeting just last week and as the hand shakers came around an acutance of mine brought up some on having all these chickens, ducks, geese and genies in their yard ( yes it was me ) and this person just wanted to see these suite's flip out for a couple of minutes as I live on the other side of the street from the city limit's and my law's are totally different and I can have cow's so you need to give an address if you live that close to the city ...[​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. Welcome to BYC from Southern California! [​IMG]

9. Mimi1107

Mimi1107 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    St Augustine, Fla.
    Thanks for the info checking today after other chores are done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by