Florida Chicken Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fledgling, Apr 9, 2009.

1. fledgling

fledgling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Hi there!

I had some pet chickens as a kid and helped raise some meat chickens on a farm back home in Colorado when I was in college....but I think I have forgotten more than I ever knew about chickens! [​IMG]

So, HELLO! [​IMG]

I have been reading the Storey book on chickens and actually found a supplier here in Florida to get day old chicks mailed to me.

Hubby and I are building a brooder this weekend and we should be starting with 15 Barred Rock (hubby's choice for his flies) and 15 Orpington (my choice) pullets. We'll select 3-5 layers to keep and the rest...well.....

We are both recent military veterans that are happily enjoying civilian life again on our cattle farm. I run the farm and stay home with our infant son while hubby works in town. I am also working on finishing my Master's in molecular biology.

We're hoping to raise these chicks and get them settled into their soon-to-be-built 10X10 coop and ample runs before getting a batch of keets to raise for tick and fire ant (???) control.

We plan to let the keets will roost in the trees vice cooped up. When we bought this place, we inherited two ancient guinea cocks that patrolled until they couldn't make it up to the trees any more. It did seem like there were less fire ant mounds with them around but I'm not sure if we can count on them for fire ant control.

Someone else said turkeys will eat fire ants. Has this topic been discussed here?

Anyway, I am happy to have discovered this site. It's been very helpful already.

Incidentally, my brother up in Virginia is getting into chickens. Maybe he can join, too!

2. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

howdy neighbor! i'm in central florida (seminole county). repeat after me...........a few more chickens never hurt anything.........a few more chickens never hurt anything.........a few more chickens never hurt anything.........a few more chickens never hurt anything...........a few more chickens never hurt anything.............a few more chickens never hurt anything......... a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything.........a few more chickens never hurt anything.........i wonder if i should buy an incubator and try my hand at hatching.....a few more chickens never hurt anything.........turkeys might be fun too....a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything...a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything...ducks would be great.....a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything......a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything.........EMU! i want to hatch some emu!.......a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything......a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything.......you are getting s-l-e-e-p-y......s--l--e--e--p--y....a few more a few more chickens never hurt anything.........

3. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri! You will find this site very friendly and helpful!

4. llamagirl

llamagirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    Don't know anything about chickens and fireants but, Welcome from NC. I'm a newbie too![​IMG]

5. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    Hi...I am in N Cental Fl, originally from Minnesota...also a military vet with two sons...one served six years in the military and the other going on twenty two years and still active duty...I am pleased with my little group of various chickens, eight ducklings and four brand new Brown Chinese geese given to me for my birthday earlier this week...this site is a great place to read and learn and ask questions...good folks...

6. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    [​IMG] from Montana

7. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    Hi and welcome, I'm also from FL...north about 50 miles SE of Tally

8. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Get a finger cramp writtin all that??

Anyway [​IMG] from another in Central Fl

9. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    [​IMG] From the NH seacoast.

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Hi and welcome to you from over the Pond....waving frantically....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by