Florida Chickens in the Winter- Are They Cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunnychix, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sunnychix

Sunnychix In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    Hello,
    First winter with my 7 chicken girls. I live in Clearwater Florida so it is pretty mild here. My chicken coop has a long roost bar at about 5' up and protection on 3 sides from wind and rain. They do not have a fully enclosed area, we use hanging nesting boxes on the side wall but of course they do not sleep in there. Do they need more protection? If we get a rare night below 50 degrees should I hang a tarp over the front to keep wind out? Thank you!

2. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Hanging up a tarp would be fine. You don't want them sleeping in the nesting boxes because it'll cause bad habits and lots of poop in nesting boxes where cleanliness is key for egg laying.

You may be cold in the winter, but chickens usually don't get cold like we do.

Lizzy733 likes this.
  3. Sunnychix

Sunnychix In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    Thank you, just wanted to be sure :)

4. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Songster

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    In Florida, they'll be fine. Tarping would be the most practical to ensure they cannot get rained on. How many birds do you have? They'll be huddling for heat too.

GRB73 likes this.
  5. Sunnychix

Sunnychix In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    I have 7 girls and they have a nice roof with an overhang but gusty winds could blow rain in so I will definitely use the tarp for the front of the coop (only open side) when needed. Thanks.

Lizzy733 likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    50 degrees at night... I'd be out there in shorts celebrating the fact that spring was already here.

7. Sunnychix

Sunnychix In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    Ha! love that. I guess my chickens have it pretty easy.

rosemarythyme and Lizzy733 like this.
  8. TopazMaster91

TopazMaster91 Chirping

Oct 21, 2019
    Lakeland, FL
    I have three older pullets, laying through the winter, and they don't even seem to notice the cold, apart from gleefully running through the yard without sticking to the shady spots like they do during summer :p
    I also have some bantams, 13 weeks old, THEY feel the cold in the evening if it's around 50 degrees and windy, or lower; they puff themselves up with their feathers and stick closer together, but they don't seem to be in distress or anything. I think you're fine :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: