Florida chickens quit laying!

fabfour

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
we have 18 chickens that have been laying an egg a day each consistently since November. Now production is down to 5-8 per day. We don't think anything is getting the eggs. Could it be the heat? Given this is their first summer (spent last as chicks in brooder box in garage); I thought this may be the problem.

Any ideas, let us know. They appear healthy and are eating, etc.

This is the case here at our chicken coop as well. Of fourteen standard hens and five usually broody Silkies, we were getting 12-14 eggs daily, cold winter through midspring. Now that the weather is more settled and warm, our egg count has dropped to anywhere from four to about 8. We thought warm weather and light made laying even more regular, but seemingly, not around here. Nothing has changed--water, mash, treats, scratch. Any ideas? ~G

I had the same problem with egg numbers dropping off here in Louisiana. I started giving them all the large, misshapen vegatables out of my garden and it has picked back up considerably. Not quite the spring numbers but difinately a increase in eggs. All I can figure is the vitamins in the fresh vegie's are what did it.

More than likely, it's the sudden or intense heat spell. It lowers egg production and causes weak or soft shell eggs, temporarily. I posted about this on another topic recently. In the stress of intense or sudden heat, a laying hen has to regulate her body temperature. To do that, she'll stop eating much feed, affecting her calcium and protein intake. She may pant. Her blood's acid-to-base balance changes. All this, and more, as she focuses on staying alive, negatively affects her body's ability to produce eggs or to adequately calcify her eggshells. So, until the environment is back to more comfortable temps, I'd give extra cool water, shade, and a breeze -- especially for these large birds. Staying hydrated & cool is key for their survival.

thanks everyone for the feedback; btw they are Red Stars. We hope to see improvement!

It's the weather. This is about the time of year that production begins to sag. Some will lay right on through, some become intermittent, some won't lay much until the weather breaks in the Fall. Look to your shade, water supply, and air-flow in your coop. The more you can do to keep them cool and with a good water supply the less your production will sag.

Saturday, Sunday, and so far today has been just torrid. It's 85 degrees and 80% humidity. Nothing likes that.

Back
Top Bottom