Florida Coop & Bugs Question

ghost_rider

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Okay, this question is for the Florida chicken owners who can relate to the problems that we have here with the bugs; especially when it rains.

We have had a major problem with roaches in our chicken coop and as a result I decided to give a good cleaning today to see how many of the little buggers we had hiding out. I was shocked to find more then I had expected, hiding in the corners and under the blocks that I have their food and water on, under the thicker parts of the hay on the floor, etc.

Do other Florida chicken owners have the same problem with the roaches and bugs in their coops?? Does this pose any potential health problems for the chickens? I am sure the bugs are after the food, water, and dry safe hiding.

And for those who haven't lived in Florida and are not familiar with the number of palmetto roaches and cockrocahes that we have will not understand how every time the weather changes or we have any rain the bugs start moving. Our coop is located under a laurel tree and is not too far from our compost pile- it is not something that can be moved since our chickens are free range and only stay in the coop at night.

Just curious to see if others have encountered the same.
idunno.gif

We have palmetto roaches here too! "Tree roaches". Truly horrifying. But I never thought they would go in the coop! Add this to the list of things to be nervous to encounter when I go in there!

Back
Top Bottom