1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Florida! Florida! Florida!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sebrite_97, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Sebrite_97

Sebrite_97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    Hey! Anyone in the big ol' sunshine state got chickens? i know a couple of people around me do, but thats only like... 3 people.... I do realize that Florida is a very "Urban" state... but I do know some areas are quite rural. (Ex. Clay county, Putnam County...) Anyways... ARE THERE ANY OTHER PEOPLE LIVING IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA WHO HAVE POULTRY OF SOME KIND!?!?!?!?!? [​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
  3. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:If you're in Jacksonville you should DEFINITELY come to the Bent Creek Swap held the last Sunday of each month. There are LOTS of chicken people there and many are BYC'rs. You'll meet so many nice people there. For details check out the thread: Jacksonville FL swaps/shows.

Hope to see you there. What do you raise? What area of town do you live in?

4. skypatrol

skypatrol Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    APOPKA, Florida.

My neighbor on the back side of the property has about 50 chickens of various types, sizes. Some are running around loose and sometimes get into my yard. Some are in coops and never get out. like many rural areas of Florida (Key West, Oviedo, many others), There are other feral chickens running around the neighborhood as well.

It was the loose ones that came to my yard once in awhile which led me to believe they might be fun to have.

I finally got into chicken keeping when a hawk dropped one in my yard. My neighbor says it is not one of his, so it must have been one of the feral ones.

I could not bring myself to get rid of her so I got her some buddies and built a coop and a run.

I am still trying to figure out if I am "allowed" to have them in my area, but my neighbor says he has had his for about 6 years and no one has ever said anything to him about it, so I don't think the authorities care much.

Wish me luck.

5. Sebrite_97

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    Quote:If you're in Jacksonville you should DEFINITELY come to the Bent Creek Swap held the last Sunday of each month. There are LOTS of chicken people there and many are BYC'rs. You'll meet so many nice people there. For details check out the thread: Jacksonville FL swaps/shows.

Hope to see you there. What do you raise? What area of town do you live in?

I do go to that swap every so often! Thats funny that you go there to! I actually did raise Golden Laced Sebrights, but the roo got way to aggressive for us so we sold him and 4 other hens. We are down to two, GOREGOUS, prize winning sebrights. I have started to raise Cochins which is working out excellently and we've got 20 eggs being brooded by their mommas! [​IMG]

6. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

7. skypatrol

skypatrol Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    PamperedPullet. Can we assume we are talking about an ongoing concern something larger than a "back yard" affair?

What do you know about partitioning the county to allow chickens in your neighborhood,....since 20 out of 30 of us have them offf the radar?

8. Sebrite_97

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    Quote:Ok! GOOD LUCK!!! :-D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by