Florida Garage too hot??? Chicken coop plans for dummies???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buttercupnectar, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Buttercupnectar

Buttercupnectar New Egg

Mar 27, 2008
    Hello

I have 9 buff orps and 3 RR's. I live in florida and I have them in a Great Dane dog kennel right now at 4 weeks old. I moved them out into the garage because I could not stand the chicken smell in my house any longer. Anyway, it is already in the low 90's here and they seem to be doing fine with a box fan blowing on them 24/7 and the garage door propped open during the day about 4-6 inches. However, today I noticed one of my reds falling a lot and the other chicks were beating up on it. I removed it and put the runt chick with him in a large guinea pig cage and they both now seem perfectly fine. Is the heat starting to get to them? I have to start their coop this weekend with their run, but it make take me a week since I am a very beginner woodworker. Any suggestions?? Anyone have chicken coop plans for dummies??? I am going to move 12 of them to a farm and keep just 3 hens for myself and I cannot have a 6 foot tall coop because I am trying to keep them a secret in my deed restricted community. Anyone with plans I would be very grateful.

Thank you

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Look under the coop page on this website ....it tends to have some good ideas . If not then just build a 4x4x3 coop . That's what I started with , then you can either free range them during the day when your there or build a small detachable "outside" pen for them . Sorry , no blue prints....but it's not that hard . Just some 2x4's and plywood .[​IMG]

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    You can look at the coop designs on here there are alot of tractor/arc designs and small coops, sadly it's very hard to find actual PLANS anywhere online for free. But if you are willing to pay you can find some on E-bay and other such sites.

I'm building my chicken coop inside of my garage, in the corner, it's doing to be 6x4 and I'm not sure how tall yet. The coop will have a door doing out to the run in the back yard. Where I live we are not allowed chickens, but alot of people have them anyways. This will help keep my chickens on the down low.

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    To help keep to chicks cool you can freeze pop bottles and put them inside the dog kennel with them, if they get to hot they can lean up against the cold bottle.

Or ice cubes in the water is a nice things too.

Make sure they always have cool water to drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by