Florida Girl Turned Country!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenBurn, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ChickenBurn

ChickenBurn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Hey there, all!

I just moved to North Carolina to be with my fiancee, who's only lived here for a few months. We have two Rhode Island Red hens, and they are lovely! Wish I had been around to see them grow up!

They started laying only a few weeks after my arrival, and we couldn't be happier! Tom had still been feeding them starter feed, and we were just planning on switching them over to laying mash when BOOM--there's an egg!!!! And then another! And another! Almost every day, just one egg.

I think it's only one of the two laying at this point. The eggs seem strong, although on the small side, and they taste wonderful!

I stumbled upon this website while looking up supplements for calcium. Had heard about the oyster shell thing, didn't have any yet. Broke up the egg shells, they don't seem too interested. Started leaving some laying mash for them, which they haven't taken to yet. We often let them out in the morning, so they're free-range all day. Who knows what sorts of yummy bugs and rocks they've been finding??

They like to come around for food hand-outs, but they are FAR more interested in the bird seed mix than in any of their chicken feed, be it the starter feed they had previously or the layer feed of the last few days. For treats, they LOVE grapes or cantaloupe. Ever since they had a taste of grape, they'll reach into my hand for anything--or nothing, whatever's there when I hold my hand out! They don't care for those dry worm treats.

What to feed them......? Are they finding what they need in the yard? Pretty soon I'll be going back to work, so they'll spend a large part of every day in their coops. Will they eat their CHICKEN food if they get hungry enough? Should I get some oyster shell supplement?

Still learning, but happy to be doing so!

CB ;)

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

3. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You can try mixing half starter and half layer feed to get them used to it, but I've never heard of a chicken who starved itself. I think they will be fine! Regarding the oyster shell, just place some in a feeder or heavy bowl and leave it for them to use at will. Good luck to you!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas ChickenBurn, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Best of luck to you!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. wvWyandotte

wvWyandotte Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Newton, WV
    [​IMG] Hi from WV!!!

10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

So long as your pullets shells are good, the feed may be providing sufficient calcium. I used to use the blender to make the shells small and added it to yogurt which they loved. I don't think it was necessary, in hindsight, because the shells were hard. I did notice that once when my feed store was out of the feed I preferred, and I used a cheaper feed, I had jelly eggs and softer thinner shells.

Welcome to the forum.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by