1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Florida newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by spaztikchick, Dec 27, 2014.

1. spaztikchick

spaztikchick New Egg

Dec 27, 2014
    West central Fl.
    Hello there! Super excited to start backyard chickens! We just bought out first house in west central Florida. I have wanted to have chickens for a few years now and can finally do so. We received a coop as a Christmas gift and now just need to figure out what to do next! And advice for someone just starting out?
    We want a friendly hen breed. Mostly for eggs and entertainment ( im a vegetarian, def. not meat)

The coop is 5x5 with a nesting area, Perching area, and a small run that we intend to extend.
    Originally we were going to let them have free reign of the back yard, however after doing more reading, we have decided to fence in a small area for them and just occasionally have full back yard privilege.

So... Advice on breed? Beginner tips?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. Breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being friendly, calm, and gentle include Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. Of these breeds, Australorps are the best layers and Cochins are the worst (although they are best brooders and mothers). You might also want to consider Black Sex Links. Although they are hybrids and not a standard breed, they are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Michael has given you good advice.

Buff orpingtons are my personal favorite breed. They are affectionate, dual purpose, great layers and cold hardy. Black australorps, speckled sussex, barred rocks, wyandottes, easter eggers, rhode island reds, sex links and brahmas are all other great breeds.

Black australorps are basically the same as buff orpingtons although they tend to be better layers. Speckled sussex and barred rocks are both super curious and docile. They are egg-cellent egg layers and cold hardy. Easter eggers and sex links are more on the independent side but still can be very friendly and are great egg layers. Rhode island reds and wyandottes tend to be more on the aggressive side and are great egg layers. Brahmas are cold hardy and good layers. They also make great, cuddly pets.

Silkies are great pets but poor layers.

Here is a link to our breed area and learning center
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/top-10-things-to-consider-before-buying-chickens

Good luck!

4. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Welcome! If you are getting them for pets with a side benefit of eggs and not breeding them I would suggest an assortment: go for the ones that you like. From the size of your coop I would guess you only want a few chickens? 5 or less? If I had to pick 5 chickens it would be one of each; Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Rhode Island Red. Just make sure you are getting Hens(pullets) and have fun!

5. BatesPiggery

BatesPiggery Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    Hawthorne, FL
    Welcome to BYC, I am new to this as well. I have three Rhode Island Red hens, two Ameraucana hens, and a Blue Maran Rooster. I love the Ameraucana egg color, and the supposed reliability of Rhode Island Reds. My little RIR hens havn't started laying yet, but here's hoping.
    Happy learning,
    Samantha

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens;)!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

[​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by