1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FLORIDA - Please list your City here That Allows Chickens!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by ChooksinChoppers, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    As part of my project to get ordinance changes for our county (and to benefit others) , would you please list here ALL cities/towns/ counties where you are allowed to have BYC in RESIDENTIAL areas in Florida. Then I will look up and print out the code.
    Please and Thankyou !

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Jacksonville, RR1 and ARG are allowed, other zoning 'don't ask, don't tell'- FL right to Farm Act- no (noise) nuisance after 3 years... and property offsets

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    Melbourne FL

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I believe St. Petersburg just passed (or is about to pass) an ordinance allowing hens in the city. Tampa allows them but only if you meet the property requirements (most lots are too small).

5. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Must be more than that out there [​IMG] I spent most of yesterday listing city names in the municode Library *we need a tired smiley*

6. 1dude

1dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace, Florida
    I live in Pace, Santa Rosa County. I checked about a year ago and was told by the county they don't care. However they said to look at 4 digits in my tax ID and that will tell what subdivision I live in. Then look up that subdivision to see if there are restrictions. Well my Tax ID had 0000 which means no subdivision. I think this maybe correct, a lady on the next street has a bunch of ducks. I can hear them from my house. So I think I'm OK.

7. LeelooD

LeelooD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    NW Florida
    I don't think you can go by Municode. Apparently, county ordinances trump those laws. I live next to the above poster in Escambia Co. Apparently, here you have to be zoned rural *and* have at least 2 acres!! Ridiculous! A lady posted on Craigslist a few weeks ago that she is rural, but was told she has to get rid of her chickens because she only owns one acre. She said she was going to try to get the law changed and was looking for supporters so I emailed her a few hours ago but haven't heard back yet.

8. Alumentum

Alumentum Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Fernandina Beach Florida
    Fernandina beach in agriculture and resendtial 1. You have to get a permit from the city manager, easy as writing an e-mail.

I was allowed up to 5, it wasn't specified if I could have a rooster.

9. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Middleburg, FL allows chickens with no restrictions, unless you have deed restrictions. We're zoned agriculturally, and unincorporated.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    2 people like this.
  10. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    Quote:Middleburg allows any Livestock as long as you have the land for it.thank God i can farm i would go crazy. I love my livestock i can farm anything from chickens to zebras. [​IMG]I lets keep the county from changing laws. more livestock please folks.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by