Florida residents: question about muscovy

learycow

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Southern Maine
I have had an inquiry from someone looking to buy some muscovy ducklings from me. I am located in Maine, and won't be able to ship them until April-May due to the cold weather up here.
But I seem to remember reading somewhere about muscovy ducks in Florida. They are wild down there and a lot of people are trying to get rid of them (correct me if I am mistaken). Is there a law forbidding the shipping of muscovy ducks into the state of Florida? They will only be for pets, possibly some breeding for fun.
Please, if you have any information on this topic post a reply! I wanted to look into it before I tell this woman I can definitely sell her some.

The proposed ban would have been nationwide not only down here. It did not pass.

Muscovy ducks are considered a nuisance species in Florida and though they can thrive the state has taken to quietly "rehoming" or destroying nests/eggs. They are considered feral here. Many residents of the state HATE them. It is mostly because of their "personality". People feed them, then they expect to be fed so they are not as timid as, say, mallards are when looking for a handout. The biggest worry I have had if they happened to get out of the yard (not so worried about that anymore) I would not be surprised if someone killed them. Because they are a none native species killing them is allowed as long as it is done "humanely". I have seen reports about people taking baseball bats to them with no consequences. Some people suck.
somad.gif

As far as I know, Mallards are the only species of duck that can't be shipped to Florida as they are a protected species here. If you still have concerns, I would have the person that is buying them check with fish and wildlife.

Yes, what jdywntr said, except that mallards can be shipped here i think, but there needs to be some way to ID them from a wild mallard. That way you can't be charged for capturing wild mallards if someone were to inspect your birds. I know there's a popular hatchery (Metzers maybe? Can't remember) that mail orders 1 day old mallards and they clip off the back toe before shipping them... which hopefully doesn't hurt them.

You also need permits for migratory birds like mallards, wood ducks ect. Scovy can be shipped here though, but you do need to be NPIP to ship birds, and must use a horizon bird shipping box.

Yes, what jdywntr said, except that mallards can be shipped here i think, but there needs to be some way to ID them from a wild mallard. That way you can't be charged for capturing wild mallards if someone were to inspect your birds. I know there's a popular hatchery (Metzers maybe? Can't remember) that mail orders 1 day old mallards and they clip off the back toe before shipping them... which hopefully doesn't hurt them.
Yes, I was just reading this on the site. http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/waterfowl/mallard-possession-rule/faqs/

Odd Florida scovy lovers don't just rehome scovy/eggs, to others who would want them. taming seems easy as with pigeons, and that would put fresh blood into areas seemingly terribley inbred.
I myself wouldn't mind a bunch of eggs or hatchlings! then the blood of those offspring spread around to other scovy lovers. most don't care about colors so basic black and white or mixed color genetics ok (id love to see lavender/cream, or "porcelain" scovy, but whatcha gonna do..).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom