Florida trip dilemma

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
DH and I are at the point where we can finally start talking seriously about a trip to Florida.
I need to see my Dad, who is getting up there in years (89 this year).
I also want to take DH to see things he's never seen and we didn't get a chance to see on our last visit in 2007. I especially want DH to see Sanibel Island, take a ride on an airboat in the everglades and because he's never been, Disney World.
We would like to go in November, but because I want the Disney World part to be my treat, we'll probably have to wait a few months longer so I have time to save up enough money.
DSD has agreed to come home (from New Mexico) to care for the animals while we are gone, which got me to thinking. I think it would be great to take the GS with us. He's four now and DH hasn't been able to spend near as much time with him as I he'd like. This creates the dilemma.
DH wants to take his truck, which is more comfortable than either of our jeeps for long trips. I think another reason DH wants to take the truck is so that the harley can come along, but if I have my way the harley is staying home this trip. The truck has only bucket seats, so we wouldn't be able to take the GS.
I want to take my jeep, so that we could take the GS.
Renting a car is out of the question.
I can't figure out how to take GS and have a comfortable ride to Florida.
hmm.png

I may get bashed on the head for saying this, but I dont think I would take a 4 year old to Disney. I would wait until he is 6 or 7. I know Disney is great for kids, but, last time we went, it was a lot of walking, waiting, waiting, and more walking and waiting. Its so dang expensive now. At 4 he may not enjoy all the waiting in line for rides, and probably wont remember much. Even in November, its hot and crowded. The food is outrageously expensive and so are the drinks. I would probably take DH on a little vacation, but maybe save the Disney with GS for another time.

I agree, wait until GS is a little older. I say around 7-12 years old is good! I remember Disney when I was about 12 years old I think and it was a LONG time ago, back in the early 1970's. It changed alot since then!

Quote:
No head bashing here! I was 13 and did NOT have fun. The waiting in line and walking was deadly. The expenses were through the roof, and frankly, not worth it. At the age of 8 or so I would have loved it.

Kat, take the truck and NOT the scooter. Make it a real "honey, let's relax, spend a little family time and hide on Sanibel" trip. My dollar's worth. (inflation, ya know)
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Well, I have to agree with the above posters. Being from Fl. and living there when my girls were small, we took them to Disney when they used to have Publix Day (a supermarket), we went at night and I think it may have been in November..the lines were still bad, long walks so dad had to carry youngest daughter-2yrs. our oldest daughter was 4..they don't remember any of that trip, but do remember when they went with friends at11 & 13.

btw..I love the beach that time of year..we were only a little over an hour from St.Augustine!! (We are re-retiring to fl next week) already told dh..want to go to the beach this fall.

Yeah, what they said. You will be able to relax and enjoy seeing your father, have some time for just you and hubby, and get to play tourist. Airboats are FUN! Tell him it's too hot and humid for the Harley.
Find some fun stuff to do along the way as well. Do it Do it Do it.
Slinky

Yeah, I guess y'all are right. GS doesn't get to go on this trip.
Now to get DH to leave the harley at home. We took it the last time around (because we attended Daytona bike week) and it was a pain in the rear. Worse than having a 4 year old child along. DH wouldn't go half the places I wanted to go because he didn't want to leave the bike unattended on the trailer. Plus, Dad lives in a retirement development with a noise ordinance. We arrived back at his place late one night and ended up pushing the dang thing two blocks from the beginning of the development to his house. Do you know how much a harley fat boy weighs??
barnie.gif

I'm originally from Florida. Grew up part-time there (part-time in NC), so I'm familiar with all these places. The everglades were my stomping grounds as a teen and remain one of my favorite places. Been to Disney probably a total of 10 times. I just want DH to experience them.

Last edited:
I agree..leave GS hoome this time... wait till hes a bit older.
As for the bike,... You may be stuck there...
lol.png

DW and I went to Disney World for our 25th anniversary. Alone. We had a blast. No way I'd take a 4 year old. But we can't wait to take our older ( 8 to 12 yrs) grandkids next summer.

As an ex-employee of Disney, I would suggest 10 years is a good age. 8 is okay but any younger and the trip is exhausting for the child, the adults, and anybody else within screaming distance. The very young are either overwhelmed, too hot, exhausted, cranky and so forth and require constant attention. At ten, a child can usually tolerate several hours doing Disney but make sure they stay well hydrated. November is usually a bit cooler, however, it is also prime tourist season and will be crowded.

Back
Top Bottom