Florida woman in "sheer terror" of duck??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tigerrrrrrrlilly, Aug 6, 2010.

1. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I can't have those MONSTERS in here [​IMG]

JK I feel bad for them, are they just wild ducks??

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovy drakes can be pretty aggressive & if they are feral then there isn't anyone teaching them to behave.... or else.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Reminds me of something that happened around these parts several years ago (like ten or so). A couple were killed in a horrible incident... by sheep.

Okay, so it's really awful. And I know that a large ram is a formidable foe when he's got his dander up.

Nevertheless... can you imagine having to tell the relatives that their dear pater was killed by a sheep? It would be difficult to conceal the unfair and inappropriate but nonetheless almost irrepressible snicker. Not exactly something for the family album.

Anyway, I suspect this is a similar thing. Sounds pretty silly to be scared of a duck but... as someone already pointed out, the wrong duck in the wrong situation can be formidable. Poor duck will probably get the worst of it.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    In general, it seems ducks can only rip your heart to shreds.

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    There are lots of feral muscovies here in FL. I wonder if people have been harrassing them to make them mean or if they have babies nearby? We have muscovies and the drakes can be a little pushy but mine have never done that but then again they are tame not feral. I hope they relocate those ducks for thier own safety or someone will probably do something to them.

7. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I especially loved the "sinking his beak into her leg" part... seriously? I wanted to see that little purple bruise on her leg, lol.
    The news didn't want you to see, they would rather mislead and terrorize everyone so the next time they go to the park they think of what they saw on the news. It's like a bad ghost story.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I live in Florida, and wild muscovie ducks are everywhere. I've never seen a drake or hen do anything like what the woman said it did! I believe that muscovies are quite the docile breed. I personally love them. Down here, its against the law to feed them, can you believe that? [​IMG] Just rediculous [​IMG] I do hope for the ducks welfare, that they get relocated to a place where they can live in peace.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I've heard the Muscovies have been a real problem in Florida. I've been really lucky, the Muscovy I see every day, a feral one, is a real sweetheart. Yes, he has his bad days where you doesn't want you near him, but he has never attacked anyone. He used to have a mate, but something happened to her.

I doubt the duck seriously hurt the woman more than a bruise, but might have flown up at her face and that would have been scary.

And, yes, you can push an animal away when they attack, you just can't do anything that would hurt them beyond protecting yourself. I hate when people tell others that you can't protect yourself from being attacked by wildlife. I know the wildlife people are trying to keep people from hurting animals, but there are times when you have to protect yourself and the courts make amends for that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Ducks have beaks? Weird, mine have bills. [​IMG]
    Must be a new breed-the dreaded "beaked duck". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by