1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FloridaChickenChick's coop stage 1: Birth of Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Coop-a-kick, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    Today FloridaChickenChick put the roof beams (?) on, and I remembered my camera this time so we have evidence! Do any of you get a bizarre joy out of constructing these things, despite the frustration? I was geeking out about it all week and it was totally worth it!

So here's what we did today:
    [​IMG]

Up coop and personal:
    [​IMG]

And here it is in the new "chicken quadrant" of the yard!
    [​IMG]

And for those keeping track: Two diet cokes with lime, one big glass of water.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Great job, documentarian! If everyone will just concentrate on the diet coke and ignore the sloppy craftsmanship....

3. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    good grief.. you did a lot considering how hot it was here in fl today..

[​IMG]

4. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    Quote:We got lucky-- the chicken area is breezy and shady. And we took a loooooooong break in the pool. [​IMG] I still think winter in Florida (January 30-February 5) is the only time anyone should have to work outside around here, but it wasn't too bad. Just this once getting sweaty was kind of fun!

5. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Wow! Great job! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

6. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    looks wonderful keep up the good work!

7. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    The wall on the east side went up late yesterday. That darned plywood is HEAVY. Hubby and I have a good system down so the other walls should be a little easier to put up.

I'm making small windows on the east and west sides, high up on the walls. I'm hoping to make these so that they can be left partially open at night...it gets so hot in late summer. The back of the coop will have a HUGE window for ventilation during the day, opposite the front door.

Yesterday I learned that 1/4" hardware cloth is much harder to cut than the welded wire I used to make my first attempt at a coop, but I am determined that NOTHING get in there to bother my girls.

I also missed Coop-a-kick, who is tons of fun to work with.

My brooder is ready, I have pine shavings, I got a chick feeder and a small waterer, I've build the "grown up" feeder and waterer...oh, I got chick starter...I think I'm just about ready!

8. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Looking really good. Sounds like you have everything just about ready for the chicks.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Nice looking coop so far and the location looks perfect. I am all too familiar with your neck of the woods...I lived in Winter Park and Orlando until 2000. I do not miss it one second either...I hate that heat and humidity.

But I spent 34 years in south Florida and 4 years in Central.

Cannot wait to see how it turns out and how the girls like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by