Flossie laid her first egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pipit, Aug 10, 2007.

1. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My Americauna, Flossie Mae, just laid her very first egg and it's a beautiful blue! She was the last hold-out of my older girls. Her sister, Ezell, also and Americauna, lays green eggs. I'm SO EXCITED! I had a feeling Flossie would lay blue and Ezell green.

By the way, they are named for my grandmother and her sister. I named my Rhode Island Red after my grandmother's other sister, Lula Belle. What can I say, my great-grandparents were hicks, literally. That was my grandmother's maiden name. Nana hated her name but still wondered why no one named any of their children after her. That's why I named my favorite hens after her and her sisters.

[​IMG]

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Congrats on the first BLUE egg!!! I think the old names fit them best anyway...so that's kewl!!

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Congratulations...I thought about naming my chickens after my relatives too! (-:
    How old where your Ameraucana's when they first laid?
    I've got Easter Eggers and was wondering when I should start looking. They are almost 17 weeks old now!

4. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    OOh..How exciting! I cant wait till my EE starts laying! Please if you can post pictures of your birds and eggs! [​IMG]

5. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    My birds are almost 6 months. EE chickens tend to mature later than other breeds. Well, that's what my friend and veteran poultry farmer says. Mine certainly laid later than my Buff Orpingtons and RIR.

I have a website, www.n4dbi.com. I'll be posting a pic of the blue egg later today.

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    lucky! my americauna (oops scratch that) EE is 15 weeks old, maybe younger (you just can't trust those feed stores [​IMG] ) the other day i looked at her earlobes, and they're WHITE! meaning shes just going to lay a PLAIN 'OL WHITE EGG! i am so jealous! can't wait to see the egg!

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Congrats on the first egg!

8. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Quote:Hmmm, you can tell the color by the earlobes? That's interesting; I never knew it.

I got our first Ameracauna egg today. [​IMG]

9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Quote:Hmmm, you can tell the color by the earlobes? That's interesting; I never knew it.

I got our first Ameracauna egg today. [​IMG]

yeah, well kinda - if the earlobes are white they are white egg layers, if not they're everything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by