Flour Beetles in the chicken mash!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimswyf, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jimswyf

jimswyf New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    So I opened a new bag of chicken feed and there are tons of little flour beetles in there. I have seperated the bag from any other food source so they dont contaminate my dog food or personal pantry items...but I'm wondering if I can still use it to feed the chickens? Seems that chickens love insects so I dont see how this could be a problem, but you never know. Im a first time chicken owner, chickens are around 3 months old. Thanks for your input!
  2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Wrap the bag in a plastic bag. Put it in the freezer, that will kill the bugs and any eggs they have laid in the food. It will stop them from eatting all the nutrition out of the feed.. I have heard to put it in the freezer any where from one to two weeks.

when you need to get some of the food out to feed your birds. Put the rest back in the freezer..
  3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:I wish I had of know that....I purchased a bag of feed about a month or two ago and kept it in my house so when I go out in the a.m. I can take it to them....and in a week my utility room was filled with moths flying everywhere..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by