1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flour question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 3goodeggs, Sep 5, 2010.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I bought flour in bulk. I then divided it up and froze what I did not think I would be using quickly. I forgot to label one container. Is there anyway to tell the difference between bread flour and all purpose?
    I have made bread with all purpose before and it was okay, but if this is bread flour, will I ruin a perfectly good pound cake with it? Are pound cakes heavy enough to forgive the extra gluten?
    I know you all will know how to help me. [​IMG]
    I may just use it all for bread.
    Old age is harder than I thought it would be!! The mind is the first to go. [​IMG] (Really,...it was the figure, but the mind is is a close second.)

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I know that self-rising will have a "taste" to it because of the baking powder added to it - not sure if bread flour has a taste. Worth a try. [​IMG]

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I can not taste a difference. I appear to be gluten intolerant... so...I guess I could eat some....but I'd rather not.
    I may just make a small loaf and a small cake and see which turns out better. However, when you have a teenager-It is all edible. quality seems to mean nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by