Flour went bad

Sc00ter4900

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Massachusetts
Not moldy but had some white worms and crawly bugs in it. wasnt sure about being able to cook it up as pancakes and giving it to the girls instead of just throwing it out? Thanks Scotty

I assume you mean the "girls" being the chickens.
gig.gif
I would cook it up for them, it's not gonna hurt them.

Absolutely - they'd love you for it. If it were me I'd probably sift out the bugs and give them to the girls live - they'll enjoy them the most that way and they're probably most nutritious then too. Then use the rest of the flour to make pancakes.

Cook it & feed it to the chickies!!

Here's a way to prevent this in the future. Grain products are allowed a certain, very small, percentage of bug eggs. I know, it's gross, but it's true. Any grain-based product I buy, flour, oatmeal, rice, etc., I put in the freezer for at least 2 days. This kills all the insect eggs. Then I move the product to a plastic bin. That way, no other bug can get in. I buy rice & flour by 50 or 100 pound bags, and have not had any problems with bugs.

Those are meal worms witch are crack for chickens. Also, your flour is not necessarily bad. There is hardly a mill in the world that doesn't ship worms in their flour at some level. When you bring flour home from the store, put it in the freezer for a few days. If the worms are left to their own devices, they will develop into beetles. I raise meal worms for my chickens just for the entertainment value.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom