1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flourescent bulbs--any heat??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JudyMcKinn, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Do the new style light bulbs--the ones that look like a coil of florescent bulb, and only use 23 watts but replace a 100 watt bulb, or some such. (Obviously I don't have one in front of me right now) [​IMG]
    Anyway, they are supposed to be a big electricity saver, cheaper to operate, and I keep bulbs over my baby chicks that I hatch during the winter, for warmth. Do these provide any warmth, or are they more "cool light"? Anyone have any experience with them regarding chickens?

2. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    they do put out some heat; not so much from the bulb but from the ballast assembly (the white plastic thing that screws in to the lamp). But certainly not near as much as a regular incandecant bulb.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, the heat you won't get is the difference in wattage from incandecents to flourecent. You'll still have to use incandecent lights for heating. Can't really be that efficient when trying to heat things with electricity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by