Flower beds and chickens....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OHhappychicks, Mar 24, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I need some ideas to keep my chickens out of a flower bed. What has worked for you?[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nothing. I decided I liked my chickens better than I liked gardening [​IMG]

3. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I rely on a 4' fence.

I do have some plantings that they leave alone - they are deer resistant plants that taste bad. But I have to surround them with rocks to keep them from digging the roots. About 1/2 + of the deer resistant plants I've planted are chicken resistant so it took some trial and error. But they destroy everything else either by eating them or digging the roots.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My flower beds are mostly perennials, so they hold up to light chicken activity. I have a lot of different foods planted for the chickens to forage on in other areas. They also have leaf litter along the fence lines and in the woods to dig through for bugs and worms. They have several dust baths. One has peat, the others have sand with various ingredients and one is covered, so it's always dry. All of those other areas are more attractive or tastier to them than the flowers.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:<-----follows the same plan.

Here's what happened to potted plants.

[​IMG]

That WAS an orange tree.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL. Aside from a tall fence . . . I keep mine in the run all summer while the garden is growing. They're allowed to free range during the late fall, winter and early spring.

8. I have kept my chickens out of my garden with a 6' tall wire fencing with an additional twine top. Even then they tried and tried to get in.
    But I did do something that really worked well. I made 5' x 3' planter boxes and put hardware cloth on top of allowing up to 1' of growth before the plants started poking through and the lid had to come off. This did allow all my plants take root so that the chickens couldn't totally destroy them. I am now making planter boxes that start at 45'' high and go up from there. The coolest thing about these raised beds is that the botom is totally enclosed to put a chicken or two under them. Not exactly free ranging but at least my veggies are able to grow.

9. But that was really expensive.

10. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I finally built a fence like the previous poster. But they still find their way in from time to time... I've decided it is just a loss I've got to face with such persistent little creatures about. I also have square foot gardens and this year, I'm gonna put chicken wire over the top and let the plants grow up through holes I'm gonna add. Hopefully this will distract them from the incessant scratching!!!! If it can be figured out, there is NOTHING better than a hen in the garden, they get rid of the nasty bugs around your squash and bean plants. As you can see this is an ongoing issue for me. Good luck!

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by