Flower children, errr... chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 20, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    lol mine have eaten ALL our flowers in the back [​IMG] so mom just gave up on flowers back there [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So far they've only destroyed the herb garden, but it wasn't very well established to begin with. Apparently the herbs are tastier than the flowers.
    [​IMG]

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We have some flower pots on our front porch with petunias spilling over the side of the porch. I looked out the window one day this summer and one of my petunias was bending down every few seconds. I walked outside and looked over the edge of the porch to find one of our girls jumping into the air and nipping at the low hanging flowers! LOL!

They also did quite a bit of damage to the tomato patch before we put a fence around most of it.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Our yard looks like the surface of the moon, at least everywhere the chickens can get to. Front is not available to them. But I cat believe you have anything growing at all.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We just buy the chinese cabbage and give it them. THey are cooped to save our fruit trees.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Apparently they don't like vinca or butterfly bushes. Dunno? [​IMG]

They've been foraging under the butterfly bushes and back in the summer when they were free ranging all day I would find them under there in the hottest part of the afternoon. But the vinca has been ignored. I have lots of grassy yard for them to attack. Maybe that's why they leave the flowers alone.

Maybe there's a connection between egg laying and flower eating. My little snots haven't laid a single egg yet. Perhaps I should be encouraging them to eat the flowers?
    "Here chickie, chickie, chickie! Fresh petunias for everyone!"

8. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by