1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flower garden at run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by trooper, Nov 14, 2011.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG]:caf I'm in the process of putting a flower,plant,shrub,garden around my chicken run.I am wanting to put in plants that will bring in bugs and also plants that as they grow into the run area can be eatten by my chickens and not worry about the plants being toxic.I do plan on this spring putting some regular veg plants in spots,but I would like to put some that are permanet.Any books,websites,people in the know with ideas would be most appreciated.This would be on the outside of the run.Thanks

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You could plant grapes. Both the fruit and leaves are edible.
    Not permanent, but Nasturtiums are quick growing and edible.

Imp

3. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    Thanks that is a start.I'm also looking at butterfly bushes and morning glory.Eventually I want to wrap my entire run with a variety of flowers and such.This means over a period of time alot of plants,so I'm looking for all kinds of ideas.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How about blueberry bushes? Mine have eaten a lot of the leaves in the past and survived. Now I have them fenced off.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Plant rose bushes. Some of the landscape types. NO MORNING GLORIES. They can be toxic. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

6. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG]:clap:yiipchick Thanks for the imput.All has been helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by