Flower gardeners - & another ? for ya, post#12

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jun 9, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Vinca? I bought two hanging baskets of vinca yesterday. Pretty pink flowers. The thing is, I remember it growing in huge bunches around the foundation of my great great aunts house (I lived with her for a spell as a child) and I know we called it something else. I want to say periwinkle, but that's an entirely different plant isn't it?
    This drove me to distraction all night last night, so please help me out.
    TIA [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    There are a bunch of different vincas out there, bot perennial and annual- mine has blue/purple flowers and is very invasive...but I love it when it stays where I put it!! I don't know any other name for it.

3. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    periwinkle is a flowering version of vinca vine. Mine at my old house flowered a purplish color.

4. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Sometimes they are called periwinkle. There is another kind of flower that is called periwinkle too. [​IMG]

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    There is Vinca Vine, which is the shiny green or variegated leaves with the purple flowers. Then, there is the Vinca/ Madagascar Periwinkle that is the annual flower in white, pink, purple. Is that what you are talking about? They are annuals, but they will reseed. Could you be talking about Phlox? That is really common in the South and grows in big bunches. Not the Creeping Phlox, that is different. What color was it?

I love them both!

Shelly

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nope, not phlox. We have some phlox around, but not as much as I'd like. This is a pink flower, sold as a hanging basket. Shiny, darker green leaves. They had white available too, but I like the pink better. The white has pink centers if you look closely.
    If I had my way the yard would be planted in phlox and wildflowers with no lawn to mow.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
  8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Then it sounds like Madagascar Periwinkle aka Vinca. This is a link to pics: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185/ I am almost positive this is what you are talking about. You can buy it as small plants in the little 6 packs and plant it around your house, or take it out of the baskets and plant it if you want.

Shelly

9. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Periwinkle is what I've always heard. "Vinca" was a new word for me. I have some friends from Jamaica and they call them "Ram Goat Roses." [​IMG]

10. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Kat.....

Are you thinging of "Sweet Williams?"

Dick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by