Flowers and questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Uncle_Bubba, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Uncle_Bubba

Uncle_Bubba Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Conway township Mi
    Not sure if this is the right spot or now but I think It should be fine here. I was wondering if there are any poisonous flowers or plants that I should keep my flock away from. During the summer, and even the winter, we let our flock free range as long as someone is home or near by to keep em away from the road. The first that comes to mind is morning glorys, I know that they will grow great in our area, dont look bad ect. but I dont want to plant anything that might be bad for them. On the other had is there anything that I could plant that is easy to grow and could be saved for a "winter treat"?

Thanks
    Uncle Bubba

2. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    Here's a list a friend of mine found, its probably not exhaustive, but it'll give you a good idea:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1912&aid=2236

And field bindweed (aka wild morning glory) is mildly toxic - it can make them sick if they eat enough of it. I wouldn't recommend storing it to feed later. If you happen to have some growing & they eat a bit while foraging, they should be OK, but I wouldn't feed it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. Uncle_Bubba

Uncle_Bubba Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Conway township Mi
    I wasnt planning on feeding it, just wondering if they came around and ate a bit of it and how it would effect them. thanks for the reply

4. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Foxglove(Digitalis)very beautiful.but deadly.nightshade(looks like little red tomatoes)sometimes yellow and purple.And lets not forget Yew berries.All grow abundantly in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by