1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Flowers overtaking my little coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tasymo, Jul 11, 2010.

1. tasymo

tasymo Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Yes, beautifying your coop with flowers is possible! Once they get established, watch out!
    [​IMG]

2. rainierlass

rainierlass Songster

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    WOW - - that is so pretty - - wish our June would have been warmer - I would have put out sunflowers as well!

3. Annabella

Annabella Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    That is so pretty. [​IMG] I just love it!
    I like the little picket fence - just adds to effect so daintily.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Come plant in my yard! Pleeeeeze? Pretty, pretty pleeze?

5. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    that is picture perfect!! Thanks so much for sharing. Makes me want to spend an afternoon sitting on a bench watching the girls... [​IMG]

6. Lovely, Just Lovely !!!

7. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    [​IMG] So pretty, what are the flowers you grew that the chickens didn't eat so I can try that.

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Songster

Very Pretty!

9. tasymo

tasymo Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Thanks everyone! The sunflowers reseed themselves, year after year. I don't cut them down until the following Spring, so the birds eat the seeds all Winter and always drop a few so they get started early. I mostly have Perennials- Echinaciea, Coryopsis, Malva, Asters, Clematis, Pink Campion and Yarrow to name a few. Also alot of stuff from seed- Black eyed Susans, Cosmos, Zinnias, Batchelor Buttons, Calendula and Wallflowers. I think the secret is mass planting. There is so much that my Six Girls can only do so much damage. They really prefer scratching for bugs in the mulch, or eating grass in the lawn to eating my flowers when I let them out.

10. mrkpero

mrkpero Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    Beautiful!!! I love it! That was my main goal for my yard this year-to plant up around the coop. I put in a bunch of fruit trees and rose of sharon around coop for future shade and put in lots of perennial beds. Hope mine looks 1/2 as good as yours in a couple years! Must add sunflowers on my list for next year! Thanks so much for posting pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by