Flowers & young chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdsofparadise, Nov 17, 2008.

1. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Aloha!

Yesterday, my daughter dropped a handful of flower petals in our hover with 25 week old ameraucana chicks. They immediately started a game of keep away as chicks would steal petals from each other and then chase each other around the hover. After 30 minutes or so, the petals were eaten, the game stopped and everyone stopped for food & water before taking a nap. Is this just a fun diversion for chicks, or should flowers be avoided? They seem fine today, but my daughter wants to start the game up again. I told her not until I hear from you. Any thoughts?

Mahalo from birdsofpardise, Hawi, HI

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    some flowers are not poison and others are. Be very careful. Violets are ok, not the african kind. Marigolds are ok but I am not sure of others. Also be sure no poisons have been on them. Some can have long term affects that accumulate. Foxglove will kill them. So will monkshood. There is a chart somewhere on poisons. Maybe one of the others can help you find it. It is llllllllllong. Jean

3. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
  4. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Thanks! They were dendrobium orchid petals (remember, this IS Hawaii) which are safe for humans to eat. Iʻll tell her to cool it or at least limit the game to a single petal a day. The chicksʻ reaction is awfully cute!

5. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    Do you have dandelions in Hawaii? If the lawn is untreated, you can drop the whole flower head in, or break them up and scatter the petals. Yummy. You can also snip the leaves up into little pieces for them, too, in sizes according to the chick's size. Fun!

6. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Hereʻs a switch, I actually went and bought dandelion seeds because an old timer told me that chicks love them. They sprouted and are about 3" tall now. With our weather, they should be flowering in no time flat.

7. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
  8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Chandasue,Thats the one I was talking about thanks for finding it. I have made it a favorite for me too. Maybe it should be a sticky since we all need it from time to time. Jean

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I throw entire nasturtium flowers in with my chicks. Including when they were just a few days old. It won't do them any harm so long as you make sure it's an edible plant. Get the scientific name of the plant ( a local nursery or if you have a digital camera garden forum can help) and then put the name plus "poisonous" or "edible" into google search and you can find 90% of the safe or nonsafe plants. If nothing comes up assume it's poisonous just to be safe.

You should also make sure they have grit if you start feeding them treats and things besides poultry feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by