Floyd made it through but...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chloemama66, Mar 26, 2017.

1. chloemama66

chloemama66 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    So happy he made it through the night. He still isn't opening his eyes or willingly drinking/eating. Should I be extra concerned about his eyes?

If he did have a fight with his 'son' would that rooster show signs of fighting? We checked all chickens and none seem like they have a scratch on them.

Cleaning him has been a challenge as he flails his head when anything touches him, but his smell is getting gross with all the dried blood.

Any tips on how to get him cleaned up more?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor Floyd. Was he attacked by another rooster?
    Flush his eyes and wounds with sterile water, saline, diluted betadine or Chlorhexidine. For the eyes flush with saline or sterile water.

Check under his feathers well, to see if you find any other puncture wounds, cuts, bruises, etc. that need to be addressed. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wounds. For the eyes use Vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin.

Keep him hydrated, adding poultry vitamins to his water and offering wet poultry feed with some extra protien like egg or tuna mixed in.

You also received good information in your other thread here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1160931/rooster-attacked-by-flock#post_18246256

3. chloemama66

chloemama66 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    Thanks - he is doing better than I expected.

I checked his whole body. Aside from one of his wings, being a little slower to go back into position, his body seems fine.

He will not open his eyes, they are not crusty, cut or swollen. He had them open a little yesterday during the initial assessment, clean up and treatments,
    He is also off balance, I attribute that to having his eyes closed and still being weak. He is standing for short periods of time and moving his head around listening. When I call his name he turns toward my voice.

Now, we had thought after reading advice from the first thread that the Jr roo attacked him. He as not one mark or feather out of place. Oddly, the nest box(es) had blood in them. They both can not fit and Floyd barely fits on his own.

I appreciate all the help - my biggest worry is his eyes. Can a blind chicken survive?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do the best you can. He may be keeping his eyes closed because he is in shock. Try to flush them again, I would assume they got blood in them since he looks badly beaten.

There are numerous threads here on BYC about keeping a blind chicken. They can somewhat adapt, but would need to have a smaller space that they can navigate. Search at the top for more information.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by