Floyd, the rooster, help needed ....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chloemama66, Mar 29, 2017.

1. chloemama66

chloemama66 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    I wrote in a couple of previous threads about his injury and eyes.

So, an update and questions -

His eyes are almost open completely. I use warm water and a qtip to wipe the crude off them in the morning One eye stays open all day, the other slowly closes by end of day.

I am still spoon feeding him h2o. He is eating very little soupy mash, with the electrolytes (molasses etc) We are up to almost 1/2 cup h2o and 4 Tbs of mash.

He WILL NOT stand! Makes no effort and I spend so long getting him stable after moving him to lean up his watery poops. Thise have been a mix of mushy neon green, semi normal brown poop to just yellowy water.

He has started to use his voice- sounding like a goose then a mediocre crow today!

I've taken him outside so he can see his girls, them him and the young roo can see he is not out of the picture!! (I know I need to re-home Jr)

So - do you think he isn't standing just out of weakness? He has a good grip when I put my fingers on his feet. He falls to the left mostly - could he have a chicken concussion?

He is more alert, and I am more anxious of getting a good pecking from him!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    From the photos in your previous posts he looks like he was severely beaten.

Keep trying to keep him hydrated and offer him some egg or tuna mixed with his feed to make a mush. Personally I would eliminate to electrolytes and molasses (molasses has a laxative effect) and offer poultry vitamins (Poultry Nutri-Drench, Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, etc.).

He may have suffered head or spinal trauma which could cause his legs to be weak. You may want to put him in a sling to get him upright for short periods of time, this may help him stay cleaner as well.

You may also want to consider tubing or syringing fluids and food into him.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding starts at 15
    http://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

There are several threads about using slings and of course if you google you can find a lot of pictures to give you an idea how to make a sling:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/147520/update-on-roo-with-broken-leg-pics-of-chicken-sling
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713499/my-chicken-sling-pic

2 people like this.
  3. chloemama66

chloemama66 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you! Never would have thought of a sling. He does grip my fingers when I pick him - that's a good sign. I brought his favorite hen in to visit him lol. He peeked up and I swear after her visit he started pecking at his mash vigorously hahaha. So I slowly eased up on the soupy mash and by the last feeding he was eating soft pellets.

[​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    He does look better[​IMG]

Sometimes having another chicken around will encourage them to try harder, so bringing his favorite hen to visit was a great idea. When it's nice weather, if you have a wire kennel or crate you can put him in outside where he can be near the flock that may help as well. The kennel protects him from being picked on, but he may enjoy the sunshine and company.

I'm glad to hear he is eating some soft pellets on his own. It sounds like you are doing well in taking care of him. I hope he recovers soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's good to hear that Floyd is making a recovery. Wyorp Rock has given you good advice about feeding, the use of a sling, and getting him back with the others in a crate. Glad that he is enjoying his lady visits. Let us know on this thread again in a couple of days how he is getting along.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by