Floyd the Rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chloemama66, Apr 5, 2017.

1. chloemama66

chloemama66 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    So. Mr Floyd seems to only eat if I spoon feed him. Not sure if he's having an issue eating or he's just being cheeky waiting for me to feed him.

I try to push his feet so he has to push back to help with his muscles. I'm guessing that sitting all day is going to weeken his legs.

He still won't stand. He has started to use his upper body to pull his chest up almost like he's stretching.

Is there some sort of exercise I can do to help him gain strength and mobility??

His face and comb are healing nicely

My husband spotted the young roo having his way with a hen to n the roost. That explains why Floyd was attacked in the coop. He certainly tries to go after him whe we bring Floyd outside to visit and get fresh air and sunshine.

Again thank you for all the help and well wishes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are his feet touching the floor in his sling? Can you take him out of the sling several times a day and sit him down, preferrably before feeding him. Do some range of motion exercises gently to his legs to keep them limber. Then put his food out in front of him a little ways away, to see if he will scoot over to it. You may also want to bring one of his ladies into his room to see if he will react. Hopefully, Floyd is just getting spoiled.

1 person likes this.
  3. chloemama66

Mar 25, 2017
    They can too ch the floor - he sticks them straight out in front of himself. Then he freaks out and wiggles and plops out [​IMG][​IMG]

We bring him outside and put him in the grass. Hoping he will peck around him. He doesn't he will most be by using his wing to turn his himself.

I've googled but how would I know if something is broke or dislocated?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I was just reading back over all of your threads about Floyd, and se where he could stand for very short periods right after the suposed attack from the junior rooster. Can he move both legs and wiggle his toes? I am getting a bit concerned that he either could have suffered a spinal injury, or that he could be getting some neurological symptoms from something like Mareks. Was he vaccinated for Mareks? You have done so much for him and have taken care of him so very well. Keeping him clean and fed, moving him back and forth from sling to the grass to his basket to sleep at night. Hopefully, he will start to move more himself. There have been a couple of pictures of homemade wheelchairs online for chickens. I will have to look around to find some pictures. I would still try some physical therapy with Floyd, moving his legs gently to keep the joints limber. It sure would be great if her could regain use of his legs and eat on his own again.

2 people like this.
  5. chloemama66

Mar 25, 2017
    He was vaccinated. He can wiggle and grip. He pushes his legs when I take the 'floor' away. I do pick him up often from his sling and hold his body so he has to move and he uses his wings to balance.

Funny you mention a wheelchair, my husband said something about that last night. He asked me what I was going to do if he never walks again. I said I guess we have a house rooster.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by