1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flu season

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by oldchickenlady, Jan 2, 2011.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Just a reminder...flu season is difinitely here! I am a medical technologist and I have done 7 positive flu tests in the last 3 days! So...remember to wash your hands often and dont touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with your fingers!! Especially if you have been out in the public. If your eye itches use the back of your knuckle to scratch it, not the tips of your fingers! I usually use my knuckle to turn a section of my shirt inside out and use the fabric to rub my eye. You can make a bleach solution with 1/4 cup of bleach and 2 cups of water to clean door knobs, refrigerator handles, phones, tv remotes, steering wheel of your car...anything you touch with your hands! Of course you don't want your paper towel or washrag dripping wet if cleaning electronics, just damp enough to kill the germs. If you have young children be sure to wash their plastic toys with this solution also. Wash your sheets and pillow cases more often and buy new toothbrushes after recovering from a cold, strep, or flu. If you do get sick...stay home! Dont go to church and go around hugging people! Those sweet little old ladies can be deadly! [​IMG] Or you can be deadly to them! Stay well!

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I am a massage therapist. You don't know the number of people who come in to get a massage when they are sick!! People think that it will make them feel better, when in fact the increased lymph flow can make you sicker! Don't get a massage!!

Stay home, get rest and drink plenty of fluids.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    To clean the electronics safely, I use rubbing alcohol. I have found wipes, that a damp with rubbing alcohol at my local grocery store. It makes cleaning the keyboard and screens very simple, and kills the nasty stuff.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OH thank you thank you for posting this... we are being slammed with sick people right now I have worked every day since dec 10th because people are calling in sick and I work in long term care so we cant be passing bugs @ work

Quote:

5. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Quote:Oops! You are right, you can find the disinfecting wipes at the store, but we use 10% bleach solution in the lab, so that is what I suggested, it is cheaper and most everyone has bleach at home, so you don't have to make a special trip to the store to get the wipes. Stay clean people!

6. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Quote:Good to know! I had no idea...thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by